Saturday 15 October 2011

Arrival of baby chickens

Well day 21 arrived and exactly to the hour (5pm) I put the eggs under the chicken I had my 1st one hatch, a white leghorn. Various others were pipping but very slowly so reluctantly I went to bed after one last look with a torch in the dark, I know, I am crazy. 7am I was up and out the door to discover only 2 more had hatched, 1 barnvelder and another leghorn. So very reluctantly off to work I go thinking of chickens all day of course. I came home to find there were now 5, 3 leghorns and 2 barnvelders, then an hour later one more barny to make 3 of each. This morning 3 more new ones . 6 leghorns and 4 barnies. 2 eggs left, 1 is infertile because it was all wooshy when I shook it. I thought the other one was as well as no pipping but cracked it to throw it away and inside the crack can see a live barnvelder! Oh dear! I have put it back under the hen. Not sure what its fate will be.


Mum and some of the chicks.

No comments:

Post a Comment