Sunday 25 September 2011

This is Mary she is one of my four chickens, a lavender Araucana and lays greeny blue eggs. Araucana are thought to originate from Chile but I'm not sure when the NZ ones arrived here or where from. Mary goes broody quite often and so I have bought 12 fertile eggs for her to hatch, which is what she is busy doing. She is in a rabbit hutch  away from the other hens so that she can just get on with the job at hand without any interruptions. I have put food and water in the hutch but also open it  for a bit at the end of the day so that she can have a stretch and a dust bath. It take about 21 days to hatch eggs which will be October the 13th all going well. The eggs are two different breeds, six white leghorn and six barnevelder and  she didn't seem to bat any of her eyelids over that.

4 comments:

  1. I love chickens for some reason. They are fascinating. Remember my bantams? Bert and Annie they were called. They often had a lot of chicks.

    What are you going to do with the chicks once they have hatched? Will you be finding them homes or keeping them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep I remember your banties, but not very clearly, that was a long time ago! I will keep some girls, not roosters, they will probably get the chop. I may have some extras just depending on how many if any (!) hatch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still thinking of keeping a couple of chooks, so may need to chat to you some time for advice.

    Sorry I missed your birthday yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very happy to do that Jane, any day is a good day to talk about chickens!

    ReplyDelete